2.13.2012

it's hard to say i'd rather stay awake when i'm asleep


Inspired by Bookworm's post

I've heard that we have six or seven dreams every night. We remember one at the most. I think our memories are rather cheating us there because, in my humble opinion, dreams are quite wonderful.
"At that point in their lives everything is clear and everything is possible. They are not afraid to dream..."

-The Alchemist by Paulo Cohelo
I'm the kind of person that will try to fall back asleep in the morning just to finish a good dream. What's the first thing you think when you get up in the morning? I think Ah, shoot, it was only a dream...
"Thomas ordered me to hit him on the head so that he could dream," Mikil said. "Evidently he has the ability to learn things from his dreams."

-Red by Ted Dekker
If only I could catch my dreams and keep them in a jar like fireflies. I would keep them on my nightstand like a lamp. I'd take them out every once in a while, lay them all out and look at them like photographs.
I was sleeping with the night light unplugged
With a note on the rocking chair
That says, "I've been dreaming of the life I once loved,
So wake me if you're out there."
-Owl City
What kind of dreams do you have? I think I've dreamed in pretty much every way possible.
You seem so real. Sometimes I forget that this is all a dream.

-Alice in Wonderland
Sometimes I dream in black and white, sometimes in colors so bright it's other worldly. One time I dreamed in black and white except all the girls had bright pink bows and the guys had red ties. I've dreamed I was ice skating on a pirate ship. I've dreamed I was a mermaid except I swam in the sky instead of water. I dream as other people. I have never once been able to scream in my dreams, it's horrible.

I have boring dreams too, like last night when I dreamed I was playing a video game.
            He stretched out his arms and declared the truth of the matter. "This, dear sister, is a dream. We're actually in a dream!"
            "Stop messing around. You're not funny."
            "Say whatever you like, but this isn't really happening right now. You'll say I'm crazy because you don't know any better- how can you? You're part of the dream."

-Black by Ted Dekker
I can control my dreams a lot, but I usually don't realize it. Like I'll be running away from the bad dudes in a forest and think, Oh, I hope a bear doesn't come through those trees. Guess what happens? Yeah, a bear comes.
            "Did you have bad dreams again?"
            "Only one. It's always the same ever since I can remember. Do you think that's normal? Don't most people have different dreams?"

-Alice in Wonderland
Sometimes I confuse my dreams with reality. I had a dream that my little sister was driving and she kept crashing. I woke up screaming "Holly! I am never, ever, ever, letting you drive again!" To this day I am nervous about her driving.

All the same, I still love my dreams. It's the only time my imagination gets to go crazy as reality is blocked out. What about you? What kind of dreams do you have? Or am I just completely weirding you out as I ramble about dreams?

P. S. Bonus points if you can guess where I got the title from :)

TTFN

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! I'm so glad I was able to inspire you. :) Your dreams sound so fun. I'm jealous... :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts or opinion on my writings. In fact, it makes my day! This is your place on my blog to be heard. Thank you ever so much, I read and cherish every one.